Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Happy Birthday
Tuesday April 10, 2012. Early in the morning, I was prepped for a c-section. I was physically shaking all morning and felt sick to my stomach. Some what from the fear of what could happen and also a great deal of guilt and sadness that I couldn't carry them longer. Vince was just as nervous as I was, although I think his was more out of anxiety and anticipation. My wonderful nurse walked me through each step and made sure I understood what was going on. They laid me down with a spinal tap (weirdest feeling EVER!) and proceeded with the c-section. My doctor took much longer than normal as to be careful since she was cutting along the same scar I had for a surgery when I was younger. The nurse announced, "Here comes Baby A" and at 10:15 Beckett weighing 5lbs 6oz and was followed by Archer at 10:17 weighing 3lbs 8oz. Each one was carried around the curtain for me to get a very quick peek at. They were put onto a warming table, given oxygen right away and were whisked away to the NICU. Vince tagged along with the boys while they stitched me back up. I went into the recovery room and waited. Imagine being bascially alone in this really large room with multiple empty beds and a nurse by the far door. You can't move anything below your chest and dying to know how your newborns are doing. Vince was wonderful and would pop back and forth from the NICU to my bedside to the lobby to keep the family informed. And I waited. And waited. And waited until FINALLY at 3pm I was given permission to go see the boys. I had to prove I could get up and walk to the bathroom before I was able to go. I was in so much pain, but I made it to the bathroom.

Beckett was put on oxygen, c-pap (to help their lungs), feeding tube in his nose and through his umbilical cord (for fats) and a ventilator. By midnight he was taken off the ventilator and that made Vince and I relax a little more that night. Archer was put on oxygen, c-pap, fats, feeding tubes and placed in an incubator. By midnight on Wednesday night, Beckett and Archer were taken off of oxygen. By midnight on Thursday they were both done reciving c-pap and were both down in weight (which is very normal). We were so excited they were making such improvements in the first few days. Beckett has been trying to eat and is already up to an ounce of milk. He tries to take a bottle and when he gets too tired they feed it to him through the feeding tube. Archer isn't strong enough yet to really take much from a bottle, but he tries and is very determined.. he just gets worn out so quickly.The only thing as of right now they need to do in order to come home (today is April 18) is to show that they can eat (breathe and eat at the same time) and have enough stamina to finish most of the bottles and maintain their body temps. Beckett has been maintaining his quite well and has been doing so for almost 2 days. Archer was taken out of the incubator for a day to see how he would do, and he was close, but they put him back in this morning so that he wouldn't burn calories trying to keep warm instead of gaining weight.
As for Vince and I, well we are dealing. Vince much better than I am. I have a hard time leaving them each time we visit. I can't describe exactly how I feel because I know its the best place for them but boy does it break my heart. Vince returned to work this week so that he can save his time off for when the boys are actually home and we can really enjoy them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment