Beckett and Archer are 3 weeks old! I can't believe they have been in the NICU this long already. I am so anxious for them to come home, but now we have to wait on Beckett until he is done with antibiotics.
Poor little Beckett got sick this last weekend. I could tell he was starting to get a little sick on Thursday and it just got progressively worse. The nurse on Saturday put him back on oxygen. He had a fever, wasn't eating as well, got very pale on Sunday and had some loose stools. I told the nurses since Thursday and finally Christine on Sunday decided to take action and get the Neonatal Doctor to come look at him. I was holding both boys and they could finally see how pale he really was. They took him right away and asked us to step out so they could pull some blood and urine samples to check his inflammation levels and see if there was any infection. His inflammation levels were so high, the neo doctor left her dinner and was swiftly walking down the hall and ordered an immediate spinal tap to check his fluid. They were unable to get fluid the first time and had to try the next day. They started an IV and antibiotics (in his forehead) right away and put him under a warmer because he wasn't keeping his temp up. The preliminary urine tests showed major growth and probably a UTI (urinary tract infection). This worried them because it can reflux back into the kidneys and get into the blood (which it did) and spinal cord. What they were looking for with the spinal tap was Meningitis, which scared the pants off of us. All night and the next day (Monday) Beckett would cry out in pain every once in a while and they keep having to pull more blood and move his IV around and he keeps getting picked on. The tests results came back negative for Meningitis but it showed some coloration... which spinal fluid is not colored. Now, after he is all done with antibiotics he will get an ultrasound on his brain to see if there are any blood clots (I guess these can happen in the womb and they break down after birth and they want to make sure that is whats going on). Both Archer and Beckett will be getting an ultrasound of their kidneys also next week after Beckett is done with antibiotics and IV fluid. Since he has a UTI, I told the doctor my history with urinary reflux which was the reason I had surgery when I was young. Since it is hereditary, they are going to check both boys to see if they have the same thing.
24 hours after his IV started, he was starting to get color back in his face and was rooting for some food! He doesn't have the tube in his nose to gavage food into his stomach since he is on an IV, so they are just letting him eat when he wants and how much he wants. He has taken already 3 full bottles (in 2days) And the other bottles are near the 50% or more mark. We are all hoping that he continues this way and won't have to get the tube back in and he can just show how big and strong he is. Archer has also decided that he's got this eating thing under control. He has been finished 6 full bottles since last Thursday! He is getting so much better with eating and breathing and keeping his energy going. He has grown so much and is now over 5lbs 2oz. This means that after he was born and lost some weight... he has already gained 2 lbs!!!!!! (if your not familiar with babies and weight.. that is a huge amount). Beckett is now over 6lbs!! They have just grown so much and you can definitely tell in Archer that his face has filled.
We are so glad that Beckett is feeling better and how much Archer is growing and that they are both showing signs of better eaters. My hope is that I have my boys home with me for Mother's Day. Please please please! Wouldn't that just be the perfect Mother's Day gift? I tell them that every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment